Popmenu clients with Online Ordering enabled now have the ability to accept online payments from guests. This enables restaurants to offer “contactless” payments and frees up staff from having to confirm orders and take payments over the phone or in person.
Popmenu has partnered with Stripe to process payments for Online Ordering. Stripe powers thousands of e-commerce businesses around the world, processing hundreds of billions of dollars per year. For more information about Stripe, visit their website.
At this time, there is no additional subscription charge to use Online Ordering through Popmenu with payment processing. However, there are fees associated with Online Ordering. To see the full list of fees, click here.
Step 1: Create a Stripe Account
Popmenu collects credit card payments from guests on your behalf and transfers the funds to your bank account via Stripe. To move forward with this process, you must have a Stripe account.
- To create a Stripe account, visit https://dashboard.stripe.com/register. If you already have an existing Stripe account connected to the bank account into which you wish to deposit guest payments, then proceed to the next section. "How to Connect Your Stripe Account to Popmenu".
- Verify your email address for your new Stripe account. You will not be able to proceed further without verifying your email address.
- In the Stripe dashboard (dashboard.stripe.com) click "Start Now" under Activate your Stripe Account.
- Enter all of your business details including your bank details where you will be accepting payments. For new Stripe customers, there will be a 7-day waiting period to collect payments. Please also note that order payments will need to be captured by 11:59pm each day to be processed and deposited on schedule.
Step 2: Connect your Stripe Account to Popmenu
Connecting your Stripe account gives Popmenu the authorization to take payments on behalf of your restaurant.
- Go to the Popmenu dashboard at my.popmenu.com.
- Click the Ordering tab > then Settings
- You'll see a list of your locations > click Settings & Schedule next to the location that you're setting up payment for.
- At the top, tab over to Payment next to General.
- Click Connect Stripe Account.
Step 3: Configure Payment Options in Popmenu
Now that your Stripe Account is connected to Popmenu, you will be presented with a series of payment configuration options like your Tax Rate, Processing Fee, and Fee Description. Click here to read more about each of these settings. Payments are processed on a 2-business day schedule so that online order payments processed on Monday will be transferred to your restaurant's bank account on Wednesday.
Finally, make sure to check the box for Accept Online Payments at the bottom of the page.
How to Process a Payment
When a guest pays online for their order, you will be able to Capture Payment or Cancel Payment.
You will see "Payment Ready" on the Orders Page.
When you accept the order, the payment will automatically capture. If you want to wait to capture the payment until the guest comes to pick up the order, you can uncheck the "Capture Stripe Payment" box.
If you choose to wait to capture the payment, you will have to make sure that you go back and Capture Payment when the order is picked up. It is very important to Capture Payment! The payment information will expire 7 days after the order is placed. You can find this at the bottom of the order details.
For more questions about Online Ordering through Popmenu or payment processing, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.